Friday, January 6, 2012

Good book or Fart bomb?

After reading Angela Scott’s blog post about mean reviewers (which is worth a read, and not only to see the words “freaking fart-bomb” in print) I started thinking about a discussion I had with my mother a couple days ago. We were driving home from Bellingham, a nearly three hour trip, and I asked my mom:

What makes a book good and how am I supposed to know when my book is good enough?

Revising feels a little like this.
A little back story here, I have been in revision mode for a while and have been struggling to figure out, “how much revising is too much revising”. Night. Mare....

So, what makes a good book?

Now, I’m not talking about writing; we should all try our best to ‘show not tell’ and rein in our adverbs and such, but what do we have to do to make readers leave their world and cling to ours even after the last page is turned? 

Is it lyrical prose, a good hook, unique voice, action packed page-turners, heavy mind-boggling philosophical doorstops that make you lie awake nights pondering your very existence and freaking out over how huge and endless the universe is?!

… 

Or is it all purely subjective and there is no answer?

I’m going to leave this one to you guys. What do YOU think makes a good book? Go!

 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's subjective and what the reader is looking for in a book. One person may love a love story because they have never been in love and r hopeless romantics. While another may feel like they already have that kind of love in their life so they gravitate towards adventure and fantasy because they find their real life isn't that thrilling. Or you just simply fall for a character because he is awesomely half beast and could never exist. :0)

    ReplyDelete